||Teachers: 2 - 5 Courses
Teacher A ... Prep (K)
Teacher B ... Prep (K)
- Hands on fun, children confident in working through activities, chance to use mathematical language. Easily linked with other subjects - takes fear out of maths.
- Poly Plug is a great resource for use in most areas of maths. Can be used in both language and maths. Used almost daily.
- MathMate are great. Get some!
- Maths is now fun - I've been able to extend and adapt activities and ideas to suit children's levels and stages of maths.
Teacher C ... Grade 1/2
- Makes maths more exciting and enjoyable
- Makes children more questioning of the whys and hows of what they're doing
- Children being able to explain the processes involved in solving problems
- A more hands on approach to maths
- Poly plugs - a fun aid for calculation but can become a bit stressful at end of lesson if a plug is found to be missing.
- MathMate - convenient packaging, quality product for classroom use. Children find them appealing & colourful.
- Leading children to more 'aha' moments.
Teacher D ... Grade 2/3
- Wonderful, practical ideas. Very hands on. Helps children to fully understand maths not just calculating without understanding.
- Poly plugs - activities are endless, really supports children.
- Math mate - we use them nearly every day. Children are often heard to say I'll just get a calculator for that.
- Builds my pedagogical skills, thus the children are more likely to learn!
Teacher E ... Multi-age from Prep to Grade 4/5 (exactly 2 courses)
- Ideas and activities to connect kids to be interested in maths and think/articulate for themselves. Involve parents wherever possible. Promote correct understandings.
- Poly Plug is a quiet, attractive concrete aid to enhance understanding. Great for games.
- MathMate is a useful calculator - uses BOMDAS, good carrying case. Could be bigger keypad for younger children.
- Wonderful to see how children enjoy their learning.
As an uninitiated user (ie: in the classroom as yet) I would suggest: Calculating Changes promotes an alternative to rote driven, practice maths.
Teacher F ... Grade 5/6
It encourages and develops mathematical, logical thinking in a supportive setting, ie: children are encouraged to work together rather than interacting only with their piece of paper/worksheet/maths text. Math mate is certainly a useful tool - an improvement on standard calculator in terms of positive and negative numbers.
Teacher G ... Grade 6
- A good way to find out about maths and its potential and richness through experience and non-threatening discovery rather than 'chalk and talk'.
- Program has boosted my confidence to teach and experience mathematical concepts. Another important part is the friendships that are shared and the practice and hands-on experience.
- Math mates are convenient in carry case and take into account Bomdas. Need more in class as they are much better than the ones we have.
- Maths has become fun for the children and they feel less threatened and say can we do maths in 'blue box', which is where I keep my Poly Plugs and MathMates.
Return to Calculating Changes
- Getting children to think about their numeracy - not just finish sheets.
- Develop children's thinking - critical thinking - choose appropriate strategies.
- Develop interaction with others - real life skills - co-operative.
- Uses different strategies to cater for different learning styles eg: concrete, story, conversation.
- Fun and children enjoy materials.
- Activities lead to alterations to curriculum at different grades and levels.
Calculating Changes ... is a division of ... Mathematics Centre