One screen, two learners, concrete materials and a challenge.
Picture Puzzles Free Tour
- Learn about Picture Puzzles.
- Explore two Picture Puzzles with your staff and students before purchasing an Access Code.
- Left click to review in your browser. Right click the image to save. (See Notes below.)
- Questions? firstname.lastname@example.org or 03 9726 8316.
See teaching notes in
Pattern & Algebra A menu
See teaching notes in
Shape & Measurement A menu
We suggest you read these two brief articles to see how other teachers have begun their use of Picture Puzzles
- Picture Puzzles in Sweden which is based on Square Numbers being used as a whole class lesson in a BYOD school.
- Picture Puzzles - Rod Mats (PDF) which is based on a whole class lesson investigating halves, fifths and tenths using the Number & Computations C (Tenths) menu below.
- With an Access Code you choose Picture Puzzles from menus and download to your school server for classroom use. Purchase Access Code.
- Pay once only for permanent access to current and future puzzles; no annual subscription.
- Picture Puzzles need concrete materials. Check Equipment List.
- Access is for teachers.
- Save the files and make them available to your students from your own server.
- Files are for the exclusive use of the students and teachers from the campus, school or institution which purchased the download Access Code.
- An Access Code may be purchased by an individual teacher, but the files may only be used in classes taught by that teacher.
- Proceeding beyond this page implies acceptance of these licence conditions.
- All Picture Puzzles are PDF slide show files.
- Files open on all computing devices, including book-readers, pads and smart phones.
- All Picture Puzzles require concrete materials listed by menu in Teaching Notes
- An overview of materials for all menus is in the Equipment List.
- Click the Picture Puzzle name to preview the slides.
- Right click the Picture Puzzle name (or equivalent action) to save the PDF.
- Use arrow buttons (or equivalent) to move forward and backward through the slides.
- Use Ctrl L (Mac Command L) to see the slides as full screen.
- With the Picture Puzzle open in the browser you can use File/Save As to save the file.
- On some devices the slides roll up and down rather than slide left and right.
- Save and open with a book-reading application to produce left and right movement.
Current Member Menus
Number & Computation A
Years 2 - 6(8)
Based on an array model of multiplication students experience how to know the answers to their times tables. Uncover Counting is used to reveal the...
6 Times Table ... 7 Times Table ... 8 Times Table ... 9 Times Table ... 10 Times Table
Number & Computation B
Years 2 - 6(8)
TTT 2/4 Times ... TTT 4/8 Times ... TTT 3/6 Times ... TTT 3/9 Times ... TTT 5/7 Times ... TTT 9/10 Times
Students choose their own time limit to complete 20 Times Tables Torture questions. Using array images they correct their work and find two ways of knowing each table.
Number & Computation C
Years 2 - 8
Choose the whole that makes ... Eighths ... Ninths ... Tenths ... Fifteenths ... Eighteenths
Students build Rod Mats and explore relationships between rows of rods the same size. Natural language drives the investigation of fraction equivalence and operations.
Pattern & Algebra A
(Square Numbers Picture Puzzle and teaching notes for the whole menu available as Free Tour above.)
Years 4 - 12
How Many Squares? ... How Many Triangles? ... Square Numbers ... Staircases ... Tetrahedron Triangles
Square and Triangle Numbers leading into generalisation, symbolic notation and other special challenges, including the difference between two squares.
Pattern & Algebra B
Years 4 - 10
4 Arm Shapes ... Garden Beds ... Lining Up ... Match Triangles ... Unseen Triangles
Exploring and generalising patterns in words and symbols. Seeing the patterns from different points of view leads to equivalent algebraic expressions. Substitution and solution.
Shape & Measurement A
(Sphinx Shapes Picture Puzzle and teaching notes for the whole menu available as Free Tour above.)
Years 2 - 10
Measuring w Sphinx ... Measuring w Trisquares ... Sphinx Shapes ... Triangle Perimeters ... Trisquare Shapes
Development of the concepts of perimeter and area using unit squares and unit triangles as the measures. Includes 2D shape puzzles, tessellation and polyiamonds.
Shape & Space A
Years 2 - 11
Representing 3D objects in 2D. Plan (looking down), elevation (side) and isometric views in the context of 3D puzzles.
Building Views ... Keith's Kubes ... Soma Cube ... Tricube Building A ... Tricube Building B